Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Yew Bonsai Urban Yamadori Styling Demo

I have always wanted a nice yew bonsai. I have known several people that say they just hate them and I can see why. For at least a couple years I have kept an eye out for a good one and resisted the impulse to buy anything small.

I don't normally post other peoples content but I am making an exception today.  Here is a great demonstration by Merlin on a large Taxus that appears to have come from a garden landscape. I have no idea what he is saying but this is one of my favorite styling demos I have ever seen. I can't believe I didn't already know about this guy! Check out his site merlin-bonsai.de, particularly the before and after section. This is what inspires me.

The yew in this video ends looking very natural. It looks like a real tree that shrunk. I am going to do whatever it takes to find and create a large yew as close as I can get it to this level of naturalness.

On a side note, I planted all of my ficus in pure Perlite except for a layer of rocks and sand on the top to hold it all in (and it looks nicer than the bright white Perlite). So far they all seem to like it.



No comments:

Post a Comment